BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Do you know God?


Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These are some of the scariest words that Jesus ever spoke. Jesus tells the story of people who get to heaven, but never had an intimate relationship with God. They preached in His name, performed miracles in His name, but never had an intimate relationship that God desires. And Jesus said some of the saddest words in the Bible. "I never knew you."

Do you know God? Do you have an intimate relationship with God? What's the big deal about intimacy? When I am intimate with God, I know Him and He knows me. I know that God already knows everything about me, but He desires to know you like your closest friend.

How is your intimacy with God? Intimacy needs two things. Quality time away from others, and authenticity and openness with our thoughts and feelings.

Let me suggest that you set aside some "quality time" for some "quite time." I strongly recommend that you have this "quite time" in the morning. One of my favorite verses is Mark 1:35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

This poem says it all... "I Met God In The Morning!"

I met God in the morning
when the day was at its best,
And His Presence came like sunrise,
Like a glory in my breast.

All day long the Presence lingered,
All day long He stayed with me,
And we sailed in perfect calmness
O'er a very troubled sea.

Other ships were blown and battered,
Other ships were sore distressed,
But the winds that seemed to drive them,
Brought to me a peace and rest.

Then I thought of other mornings,
With a keen remorse of mind,
When I too had loosed the moorings,
With the presence left behind.

So, I think I know the secret,
Learned from many a troubled way:
You must seek Him in the morning
If you want Him through the day!
By Bishop Ralph Cushman





0 comments: